Recently we have been getting several requests for the new “Laser Lipo,” “Cold Lipo,” and other newly introduced techniques that promise excellent results – painlessly, and with zero down time. Let’s go over some of the facts and discuss…
1. There has always been one adage that has remained true: If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
2. Newer technologies are definitely on the horizon; however, this does not mean that these technologies have been perfected…YET! One laser lipo company claims that their machine will take one inch off of your waist after a single, one-hour procedure. First of all, it must be understood that a candidate for this procedure must have a fairly significant area of fat because the laser has a single, fixed focal point. Secondly, the results are usually seen after 2 – 3 months. And lastly, the procedure is not inexpensive, regularly costing several thousand dollars ($600-1500 per “area”).
3. With focused ultrasound the fat cells are permanently disrupted with these types of treatment. However, the fat inside the cells is not destroyed. The fat is carried back to your liver and treated just like food you eat. Once processed by the liver, the fat released by laser lipo treatments is sent back out to fat cells in the body. Since the fat cells the fat came from are no longer present due to the laser lipo treatment, the fat cannot return to the treatment area. Typically, it will go to multiple places in the body and result in few if any measurable increases to other body areas.
4. Now, although we agree that minimal downtime is an extremely important consideration in choosing this modality, as fully-trained plastic surgeons we strictly look at results; not anecdotal evidence where a handful of individuals have benefitted from a particular treatment, but RELIABLE, REPRODUCIBLE and PREDICTABLE results!
5. Is this type of technology headed in the right direction? Undeniably! Non-invasive body sculpting is shaping up to be the next frontier in body contouring.
6. Let us ask a few relevant questions: (1) in this economy, if you are willing to spend several thousand dollars to improve your body contour, would you be happier removing a single inch vs. 8 inches? and (2) if this were the answer to body sculpting, why would traditional liposuction still remain one of the top surgical procedures performed in the world?
With this being said, newer noninvasive body sculpting will be the wave of the future! Key words – WILL BE! For more information, please visit us at the Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Group or call for a consultation at 310-853-5147.